Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Halloween=thrift store shopping sprees!

I won't lie...I cannot remember the last time I bought a Halloween costume from a department store...oh, wait, actually, I do.  It was 5 years ago from kmart.  Just a witch costume. I fell in love with the spider-web gossamer sleeves and just had to have it.  Other than that, my costumes have usually come from finds in thrift stores.

Last year, I was Bellatrix LeStrange.  I scoured 3 thrift stores and found everything I needed (with the exception of the wig.  That I had to get on ebay).  At one Salvation Army, I found a long black flowy skirt for $3.  I went to another in search of shoes and found the most perfect pointy velvet type boots for $5.  I already had a corset top in my closet along with some fishnet stockings.  I also found a sheer long sleeve top at another consignment shop for $5. The wig cost $18.  I also got a replica necklace from Etsy for $8

Total cost for last years costume: about $40
Retail cost of Bellatrix costume online: about $65
Savings of: $25

This year's costume is a bit of a challenge.  I really got into a video game called "Alice: Madness Returns" and I really want to be her this year. Either the classic Alice.....

Alice Madness Returns Wallpaper

or hysteria Alice:







Alice in Hysteria Mode, My big issue is is finding the proper dress.  I still have a few consignment shops to check but, so far, all the dresses I find that are close are too small!

Sometime this week, I am going to check out a cute shop called "New 2 You" in Ballston Spa (on Rt. 50, in the plaza across from Pizza Hut).  This shop has a lot of newer items, very very gently used and tons of brand names.  Towards the back of their shop, they have a vintage section...and quite a few dresses.  I'm hoping to find something there.  I guess whichever dress I find first will determine the costume.  Their prices are pretty awesome. I got a pair of UGG winter boots there last year for $20, a freakin' sweet Betsey Johnson dress for $50 and 2 pairs of jeans for $15.  There's also a huge selection of tank tops for $5 each.

Personally, I do like Hysteria Alice because she's so freaky looking but everyone should get the point of who I'm trying to be if I go with the classic costume....I know that there is a costume already packaged for classic Alice but it is wicked expensive...plus, I love the challenge of getting a costume together ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment